Getting a urinary tract infection is very troublesome and you must consult a gynecologist or a urologist if you see its signs. Though it is more common in women, males can also have it and might need to visit a urologist in Brooklyn, New York.
What is urinary tract infection?
It is an infection which can affect any part of the urinary system and most of them involve the lower parts: Bladder and urethra. It might also involve the kidneys and uterus. It has many symptoms and if ignored, it can have serious repercussions once it spreads to the kidneys. Doctors treat them with medication, and there are some precautionary steps that you can take to avoid getting infected.
What puts you at risk of getting a UTI?
- There are some risk factors that are restricted to women only like sexual activities without precautions, specific birth controls like diaphragms, and menopause.
- Some kind of blockage in the urinary tract like an enlarged prostate or kidney stones which cause the urine to be trapped in the bladder, increase your chances of getting a UTI.
- If you have had to go under a urinary procedure like a surgery or an exam, your chances of getting a UTI increase for some time.
- Some people are born with an abnormal urinary tract which causes hindrance in urinating normally which puts them at risk of getting infected by a UTI.
- Due to some reason, if a person has to use a tube to urinate, that can be because of several medical conditions, they are at a greater risk of developing a UTI.
- Since the body’s immune system is very important in fighting against bacterias and germs, having a compromised or weak immunity system can also put you at greater risk of contracting UTI.
What can you do to lower the risk?
- Keeping yourself hydrated by consuming a lot of liquids allows the bacteria to get out of the body through urine.
- It is also said that drinking cranberry juice also helps in avoiding UTI.
- Urinating after having sex also helps as it flushes the bacteria.
- Changing the birth control method might also help.
- You must try to avoid using products in the vaginal area.
Urinary tract infection very irritating and cause a hindrance in your day to day life and you must not ignore them and visit a doctor and get them treated immediately