An annual traveling trip can’t be helped– whether you’re going out of town for a business trip or seeing your family in your home state, it’s a time when we have to plan out how to enjoy ourselves while we’re away but also get the same or similar comforts from when we’re home, especially when we need CPAP therapy and must travel with a CPAP machine.
If CPAP therapy is part of your nighttime routine, this should not be an impediment for you to enjoy your trip and make the most of it. These are just some of the tips we’ve gathered to help you have an enjoyable trip while on CPAP therapy:
1. Invest in a good CPAP pillow. Traveling can be a pain in the neck, literally. In whatever situation you find yourself in traveling, which could be in an airport or in the car, investing in a good CPAP or neck pillow can do wonders to make the trip significantly more comfortable. And the more comfortable you are, the higher the quality of sleep you’re getting. So don’t shy away from investing in a good pillow. While you’re at it, add in a nice throw and an eye mask and it will take you to dreamland before you know it.
2. Bring a power strip. Sleeping in a hotel or in an Airbnb for the first time? Bringing a power strip can help make sure that you can sleep with your CPAP machine plugged even if the outlet isn’t anywhere close to your bed. A 3 to 5-meter power strip would do best in these situations as it offers you more flexibility wherever the outlet may be.
3. Create a workable nighttime routine. Many studies have shown that the body needs a nighttime routine for it to get more out of sleep. If you’re staying in a different city or country for more than a couple of days, it might be wise to create a workable nighttime routine while there. This could be similar to what you do at home, or it could be tweaked depending on where you are. The important thing is to relax and catch those z’s.
4. Immerse yourself in aromatizing scents. In connection to the nighttime routine, having aromatizing scents when you’re taking a bath or while you’re using your CPAP machine can add that much-wanted relaxation while away. This routine can help you unwind after a day of sightseeing or business meetings and will help make you look forward to spending some time soaking up before bed.
5. Entertain yourself! CPAP masks can be acutely uncomfortable and you might need time to adjust before you sleep. Having a book or magazine nearby, or maybe even watching a short Netflix series or documentary, might just do the trick for you. So bring with you that book you’ve been wanting to read or save that episode of Narcos when you’re away.
6. White Noise is your best friend. Staying somewhere other than your home can spell some discomfort or adjusting especially when it comes to sleep. The noise around may not be what you’re accustomed to, so bringing a white noise machine or downloading an app that can play white noise could become your new best friend. It’ll help you zone out from the noise around you and focus on getting some sleep.
7. Wipe it clean! Wipe it often! A good set of mask wipes is important to have with you on your trip to keep your CPAP mask clean and hygienic. We recommend wiping the mask every after use so that you always have a clean mask every time you need it.
Carrying your CPAP machine doesn’t have to come at the expense of enjoying your trip. Just a few tweaks here and there, and voila! Your trip will instantaneously be so much more relaxing and less stressful. Catching some z’s would not seem like such a faraway concept now. Check out BuyMedical to stock up on the things that you need before heading to your destination!
We hope these CPAP tips when you’re on-the-go will help you have a more productive and enjoyable trip soon. Bon Voyage!